Rrr-r-r-r-r, grok grok grok grok! Rrr-r-r-r-r, grok grok grok grok!


It was a very small sound and it was coming from my pocket. The one I keep my phone in when I’m walking. I wondered if somebody was text messaging me or something. It was 6:15 in the morning and, at the *moment*, the only people who *would* text message me were either in *my* timezone or further west, so that seemed pretty unlikely. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and, to my absolute sheer utter horror, I realized that it was calling Mouse! In her cozy little Planet Ann Arbor bedroom. At 6:15 in the morning! Quick as lightning, I pressed “end call”! The last thing I would ever want to do is call Mouse at 6:15 in the morning unless it was pretty darn urgent. Nitroglycerin, anyone?

I mean, once when Mouse was in high school, I *needed* to call her because I needed to remind the GG to do something and I couldn’t get him to answer the phone. I mitigated that situation by begging her pardon at the beginning of the call and telling her about a cute little owl I encountered (really) that morning. No owls today and no point in trying to pass off a cute rabbit story since they are ubiquitous around here these years. But Mouse is usually the *last* person I would try to reach out and touch telephonically at 6:15 in the morning.


Dern, it did it again. Yikes! I hit the “end call” button again and jammed the phone back in my pocket. Not a minute later, tink. What the *heck* is going on, I thought, as I hit “end call” yet again. Well, turns out, I was jamming my phone into my pocket *before* the touchscreen blacked out and went into “lock” mode. And somehow, my pocket managed to both hit the Phone application button and Mouse’s cellphone number. [Er, it also tried to call The Commander and The GG. Fortunately, it didn’t try to call my boss!]

I finally figured out that I had to actively *push* the button — an actual physical button on the top of the phone — to make it go to sleep before I jammed it into my pocket again. So, no more problems.

But then I couldn’t figure out why Mouse hadn’t either answered my calls or returned them. Well, of course, it could be that her phone was 1) out of battery, 2) in her backpack three rooms away, 3) turned to vibrate. But the answer was that my loverly phone had been trying to dial Africa! Yes, it was trying to call her now-defunct number in Africa.

One Response to “Rrr-r-r-r-r, grok grok grok grok! Rrr-r-r-r-r, grok grok grok grok!”

  1. Dog Mom Says:

    LOL!!! BTW – both Nook & I had WEIRD cell experiences while @ Cabin! I got to the end of the beach (range light end), was looking at the Frog Pond, and realized my phone was vibrating in my back pocket. Pull it out, look at number….HUH!?!?!?!?! my phone is calling *itself*???? END CALL! (heck, on Canadian Roaming there, I wasn’t gonna answer, anyway!!). Then… Nook’s phone rings, she looks at the display: “Voice Mail”. She answers, “click…click…click…”, she ends call. Her “voice mail” called her once or twice again after that….

    Hopefully, that was totally random and won’t happen again…. way too bizarre (um, are the Ol’ Boy and the Ol’ Coot playing with us????) O_O